Linking Categories in StoreItPro
StoreItPro supports a number of ways of creating links between categories.
- Populating a pick list for a field from a category’s contents.
- Auto-filling a field based on the contents of another category.
- Using a category link to browse through related categories.
In this FAQ, we will edit the following category definition to illustrate how to use each of these methods.
First we will edit the Stock ID field to create a list of selectable values.
1. Select the Stock ID field and choose Field Values.
2. You can create a list of values by either selecting Choose One or Many From List.
3. To create a list using another category, select Choose Category For List.
4. Now you can define the category list.
5. Choose the category that contains the values for the list.
6. Choose the field containing the required values in the selected category.
7. The value list is now defined. If required you can add a filter to the value.
Now we shall edit the Stock Price field to demonstrate how to configure an auto-filled value.
1. Choose the Stock Price field and select Field Values and then the Auto-Fill option.
2. Now you have the options for defining an auto-fill. Select a Category and Field as above.
3. You must define a filter for an auto-fill value. This filter should identify a single row in the linked Category using a field value in the current category.
Finally, we shall add a new field to the category to demonstrate a Category Link.
1. Create a new field and select the type Category Link. You now need to define the Link To category.
2. After selecting Field Values and the presented option, you need to define the linked Category and a filter as above.
3. The new field is now defined and the different linked fields are ready to be used.
Note 1: When browsing an item with a Category Link, just tap on the linked field to open the view of the items in the linked category filtered by the original item.
Note 2: Auto-filled values are populated when the item is initially created. If you want to update the entry then tap the refresh button when you are editing the item.
Note 3: On import/export of a text file into a category containing a Category Link field, do not include the category link field.
Note 4: Be careful on restoring category backups containing or linked to by other categories. You may need to update the category on reload because it will not have a link to the original linked category. These are shown with ???? in the field definition.